Personal Learning Network

I am, to be honest, not a fan of the "personal learning network" concept.  I find it jargony and confusing, but I gather that (in everyday language) what is being asked of us is that we define the tools, routines, and resources we personally use for learning.

As a highly independent learner, I prefer resources I can access on my own terms.  Therefore, when it comes to networking, my primary sources of "interaction" are actually books and other written materials I can read and then "talk back to" in my own head.  When I need further help or to bounce ideas off of someone else, Facebook, bulletin boards, "ask an expert" sites, etc. are my preference, so I can ask whatever I need to ask, but not be obligated to participate regularly in small talk.

My tools are simple, as well.  I consider myself an "information collector," so I have a large number of books, browser bookmarks, and digital files organized into folders by topic.  This allows me to build a library I can reference whenever a new bit of learning triggers a memory of something I have seen in the past that may be related.  I make liberal use of search tools.

In terms of processes, while that depends a bit on the context (for instance, whether I am taking a structured online course or simply seeking to learn more about a topic on my own), I typically also organize this into folders on my computer, and/or sections in a 3-ring binder, depending on the format of the content.  I prefer my primary study materials to be in print, as it's easier for me to flip back and forth to find things, compare information from two sections, and underline/take notes than in an ebook.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solid Performance

Adult Learning Described