Adult Learning Described

Although creating a timeline was a useful tool for capturing learning opportunities I might otherwise have forgotten about (as was the Learning Inventory Worksheet), I found it somewhat awkward as an overall tool for recording my adult learning experiences.  A few of my learning experiences fit into very specific niches in time, however, many have occurred gradually over time as part of a lifestyle of learning.  Where on a timeline does one place, for instance, habit of reading regularly?

This difficulty was, in itself, a source of insight regarding my learning experiences and preferences -- not to mention what may, perhaps, be a deficit in recordkeeping skills!  Much of my learning has been fluid.  I couldn't tell you when I "learned to cook"; I simply am still continually learning to cook.  My skill increases and knowledge expands, but it was not a one-time event.  Perhaps I first heard of modern home birthing in 1996 or 1997, but my knowledge, familiarity, and experience have continued to grow and expand over the years.  And isn't this the real purpose of knowledge?  Not to hoard it, but to apply it, expand on it, allow one bit to interact with another?

With few exceptions, my adult learning has revolved around my lifestyle and my own innate curiosity and interests.  As a wife and mother, I have developed skills in areas such as management, child development, cooking, and educational theory (as well as some broader leadership skills during the period my husband was on staff at our church).  As a member of a church community, I applied my talents by participating in the choir, handbell choir, and as a regular soloist.  I also kept active by filling a slot on the softball team (when I wasn't pregnant). 

I read continuously, about anything and everything that interests me.  This has resulted in an extensive knowledge in a handful of areas (holistic health, productivity & organization, home & family, Christian theology), as well as broad exposure to other subject areas and ideas. 

As a blogger and author on a tight budget, I've become a consummate DIY-er.  The net result is not only an extensive body of work (writing, primarily), but also at least basic skills (and, in some cases, well beyond basic) in such areas as composition, editing, Wordpress management & troubleshooting, Wordpress theme editing, HTML & CSS, graphic design, social media management, ebook formatting, etc.  In the process I've used programs such as Microsoft Word, PhotoShop, and Wordpress, along with open source replacements for well-known software -- LibreOffice, Photoscape, GIMP, DrawPlus, Inkscape, etc.

Overall, I have developed a strong set of communication skills and a solid knowledge basis in areas of holistic health and how to integrate healthy lifestyle within the home, to communicate with those skills.  In addition, I have some general exposure to other areas and other activities to help round me out as an individual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Solid Performance